If you haven’t noticed, it is cold outside … so keep warm, Bobcats! It amazing how the semester is coming to an end way too fast. It feels like just yesterday that I was packing all of my stuff and moving into my little dorm. So many things have happened since then. There are many adventures I have gone through since the semester started and I love every single one of them.
I have learned some lessons along the way that will probably stick to me for the rest of my college years. I mean, people had told me about all of this, but it’s like everything you don’t really believe it until you live it.
1. Having class at 8 a.m. is not a very good idea unless you are a morning person (which, by the way, I AM NOT!).
2. You really need a planner or at least live, love and learn your syllabus.
3. Going out on a school night may end up being a really bad decision is you have classes in the morning.
4. Procrastination is evil. Just don’t do it; it really does save you stress.
5. Registration is like the Hunger Games. (No joke!)
6. Going outside of your comfort zone is really important.
7. Seriously get out there, meet new people; you won’t regret it.
8. Oh, and just because there is no attendance policy, doesn’t mean you don’t have to show up to class.
9. Really, go to class every day. (I’ve learned this the hard way.)
10. Finally, keep your goals in mind. Do everything you have to do, but at the same time also have fun.
Even with all of that in mind, I have managed to still have fun every now and then. The friends I have made while being here are just simply amazing. There are endless opportunities but also keep in mind that if you make yourself too stressed, you will not function. Dealing with stress the right way is very important. You also can’t let yourself be swallowed by the party scene because that will end badly. One thing that has helped me is remembering why I am here at Texas State to begin with. You know that set of goals that led you where you are now is what should push you through in this very moment. Yes, we are young and we want to swallow the world, yet we have to be careful not to be swallowed by the world because it does happen.
So as these final weeks roll around, be sure to do what you have to do. There is still some time to do what you haven’t done or fix what you think is unrepeatable. Keep your goals in mind, and keep looking forward. You are here for a reason and sometimes we don’t know the exact ones but believe me, they are there.
With that in mind, I hope you all have a good week. Remember to stay warm!